Saturday, October 2, 2010

Baking Powder Biscuits

These are pretty much your ‘classic’ biscuit. A recipe which I’m sure has been passed down through almost every family. Or, if not, can be found in any Betty Crocker cookbook.

IMGP0161

I made these today for Tyler, and every time I do he never fails to tell me that these are his favorite biscuits. Better than any store bought tube of dough or even the Red Lobster biscuits (and those are good!).

He only wanted them for a yummy snack today, but I typically make them when it’s cold out because they go so well with a hot bowl of soup.  Now that the temperatures are finally getting below 80 degrees it seems biscuit season is on the horizon.

They are so quick and easy, you should make them soon!

Baking Powder Biscuits

1/3 cup shortening

1 3/4 cups flour

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk

Heat your oven to 450 degrees. Cut the shortening into the flour, baking powder and salt with a fork until it looks like pea sized crumbs. Pour in just enough milk so dough leaves the side of the bowl and rounds into a ball (3/4 cup is usually just right). Knead lightly on a floured surface a few times and shape into a flattened circle. Take a biscuit cutter (or drinking glass) and cut out biscuits.

I use parchment paper on my cookie sheet which I find helps keep the bottoms from getting too dark. Place them with sides touching for soft sided biscuits or a few inches apart for crusty sides. Bake for about 10 minutes or until they are beautifully golden brown.

This recipe only makes six hearty biscuits.  So if you really love them, you should think about doubling the recipe.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. We love baking powder biscuits as well! I have a similar recipe that I use all the time. Charlie really likes them mixed with a ridiculous amount of garlic powder and some shredded extra sharp cheddar. Delicious!

    Thanks for the Hobby Lobby idea! I almost passed out when I saw prices at anthropology!

    ReplyDelete