Thursday, October 7, 2010

Turkey Meatballs

When Tyler and I first were married I was a sad sight in the kitchen.

I had never spent much time in the kitchen growing up watching my mom cook and in college, even though I lived in an apartment for two years, I can’t remember cooking more than a handful of times. I have no idea what I ate…

Anyways, once we were married my kitchen skills needed to improve and fast because I had more than myself to please.  This is where recipe books, Food Network and good friends (who knew how to cook) entered my life and I’m so glad they did.

As time has gone by, I have tried many a recipe (some good, some really not good), and have built a little repertoire of recipes that are now my trusted standbys that I can turn to when I’m either not feeling adventurous or I just want something that I know by heart (i.e. not have to reread the recipe 50 times while cooking).

This recipe for Turkey Meatballs is one of those recipes and is also one of my very favorites. They are so tasty, and are a nice change from ordinary meatballs with flavors you wouldn’t expect.

IMGP0028

Turkey Meatballs

1 lb. ground turkey

3/4 cup bread crumbs

1 red pepper – blended (or minced very finely)

2 cloves garlic - minced

2-3 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard

2-3 Tbsp. parmesan cheese - grated or shredded

1/2 tsp. salt

                                              

olive oil

1/2 yellow onion - chopped

handful of mushrooms - chopped

few glugs of white wine

Combine the turkey, bread crumbs, red pepper, garlic, mustard, cheese and salt.  Form into balls and fry in pan with olive oil (turning to brown on all sides).  Once cooked, remove meatballs from pan and add chopped onion and mushrooms with a bit of white wine to the leftover olive oil.  Sautee onions and mushrooms and then add meatballs back to the pan to heat through.

This makes around 20 meatballs.

When I first tried this recipe I thought “Oh darn, we have no white wine and I don’t want to buy a whole bottle just for a few glugs.” Since then, I have learned to always keep a little jar of this classy stuff in my pantry. I’m no wine connoisseur so I don’t think I could tell the difference. If this stuff makes you gag, you can go buy a whole bottle and then drink the rest of it with your dinner!

IMGP0014

Just to try to convince you even more to give this recipe a try, here is Marie with a little message…

IMGP0021

“If I love them, you will too!”

Disclaimer: Marie had meatballs not cooked in wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment