Thursday, December 2, 2010

Homemade HotPockets

About a week ago, I was cleaning out the fridge before heading home for Thanksgiving.  I came upon a small container of bread dough which I had put in there a few days previously from a pizza I had made.  Not wanting it to go to waste I brainstormed ways to use it up.

The idea of a hotpocket came to mind as it was just the right amount of dough.  Never having made one before, I went online and came across this site with instructions.

Schroeder Wedding-1

They are really very simple to do and I’ve determined they make a great lunch for Tyler to take to work (since he’s always scrounging for something).  All I have to do is make a batch and throw them in the freezer to use later.

There are tons of ways to keep it interesting with different ingredients.  This time I used ground Italian sausage and mozzarella cheese with marinara sauce on the side, but you could try some of these options:

- brat and cheddar cheese with mustard

- ham and Swiss cheese

- chicken and bacon with cheese dipped in ranch dressing

- roast beef and provolone cheese

- sun-dried tomatoes with olives and basil (if you’re feeling wild)

… the list could go on and on.

*My own bit of advice  if you decide to try them – be sure not to roll out the dough too much or when you go to wrap up your filling it could stretch and get pretty thin.  I learned this the hard way as I wasn’t aware how bulky ground sausage can be (you can see little bits of sausage peeking through my crust where it got too thin).

I hope if you make them it makes you feel a bit like a kid again… it did for me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try these! They'd be great for Justin to take to work too. =) Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete